Saturday, August 9, 2008

Two Weeks Left in Europe and Lots on the Lap

I've been in Europe all summer, living mostly in Muenster, Germany, leaving town for places like Berlin, Duesseldorf, Hamburg and Cologne, but also traveling to countries surrounding and beyond: the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and Denmark.

Next week? France.

This week, however, I'm staying put in Muenster, taking advantage of all it has to offer, all the while researching for my production company's future Germany projects.

Last night, for example, I went to this incredible spa, complete with four different kinds of saunas, steam baths, hot tubs, cold pools, a solarium, and lounge chairs galore. A real paradise... for 17 euros. I'm not kidding - 17 euros. That's a steal for Americans, and as the former Assistant to the VP of Development at Mandarin Oriental in New York, I can tell assure you that I know what I'm talking about.

The only odd thing - for me, as a puritanical American - was the small fact that you were supposed to go "au naturelle," covered only by a towel.

Gosh, as liberated as I'd like to think I am, this was tough. And how do you NOT look, for heaven's sake?

Still, there was nothing kinky about any of it. In fact, the only weird one there was I -- I just couldn't get over the very obvious lack of interest in my naked body. Hey, the people weren't there for a strip tease, they just wanted to be healthy and chill.

So much for the idea that it's all about sex.

No comments: