Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Preparing for Prague



I'm heading to Europe soon -- Muenster, Hamburg, and Berlin, Germany; possibly Cannes, France; and then onto Prague, Czech Republic.

Muenster will be my home base for the summer -- from there, I plan on venturing out on as many adventures to meet women directors, screenwriters, and producers as feasibly possible. And stay tuned -- I'll most certainly be writing about them all in my Blog.

The first big adventure starts when my mentor and friend, Melissa Costello , a brilliant director who specializes in political campaign commercials.

Melissa and I will be making a pilgrimage to Hamburg to meet former Road Movies Development Director, Ute Schneider .

Ute Schneider and I go back to my internship at Wim Wender's Film Production Company in Berlin, nearly six years ago. She now heads her own company in Hamburg, Schneider & Groos, and I can't wait to see what she's up to.

And then it's on to Berlin -- ahhhhhh, Berlin -- the home of my inner, Bohemian heart, to meet old friends (I lived there for five years, from 1995 to 2000) at the English Theatre of Berlin and Deutsche Welle-tv and make new, specifically with the women of Women in Film & Television , Germany.

Finally, Melissa and I will part ways in Berlin and I'll be taking a jet-plane to the beautiful and mysterious city of Prague.

In Prague, I'll be working on a short film with Czech director, Lucie Groene, as Assistant Director of the English-speaking shoot, as well as taking-on a small, manageable part, as actress. It's been great communicating with Lucie, as I've been able to put my German-speaking-skills back into full action. Lucie feels more comfortable speaking German than English.

I couldn't ask for a more ideal gig -- working with a competent director in one of the most beautiful European cities and being assigned the responsibility of organizing around my own native language, while speaking another and learning a third (Czech) -- I've died and gone to heaven!

Wheewwwwww! That's a lot -- and I promise to keep you up-to-date on everything. For now, however, I better get packing!

No comments: