Saturday, February 16, 2008

Out and About on a Film Shoot

I was just in New Jersey 1st A.D.-ing on a film by London Film Schooler, Brian Hickey, who is directing his Master Thesis short film on HD with fellow classmate and Director of Photography, Johannes Schaff.

Brian brought the whole cast and crew in for a week to shoot his film, a brilliant take on lessons in life, misery and faith.

Thus, I drove southwest to NJ from the Capital District Region, and noted the snow flurries absentmindedly throughout the drive.

Little did I know. Little did I wonder.

The only thing I feel able to say at this moment is that I've never worked in such cruel weather conditions, in such a bitter, biting cold. I have frostbite on my hand.

And yet, still, never have I had such a marvelous time in the way that only a film-maker can understand. I pushed myself dangerously to the edge -- to the point that my health was in trouble -- without even realizing that I was that close, because I wanted to give the film my all.

Why? I was inspired by my fellow crew members and, above all, the top of the team, my director and his cinematographer.

Now, back at home, away from the perfect chaos, the intense cold, and utter fatigue glossed over by adrenaline, I feel that ache that you go through when you're withdrawing from something you love... almost more than life, itself.

I'm sure that you'll be hearing more about Brian Hickey and Johannes Schaff. And I hope that I do, too.

No comments: