Monday, October 1, 2007

New York Women in Film and Television



It's official: four months after sending in my application to the prestigious and empowering organization for women in film and television in New York City, I received a phone call and was invited to their office near Madison Avenue in the city of my dreams for an interview.

The next week, I walked in, a moved-out-of-Michigan suburban mom looking to relink my future profession to my past career, and walked out, an hour later, with a new lease on life, a fresh perspective toward my tangible goals, and a lighter hop to my step.

I started my internship a week later and ran my first errand to The Daily Show offices to deliver a special invitation package to the comedian/actress Samantha Bee.

Didn't I do this when I was 18? No. I was going to college then. How about my twenties? Yes, okay, you got me. But not in the profession of my dreams: the entertainment industry of film and television.

I'm not going to apologize for being a late bloomer. I've lived the life and had more careers in my thirty years than most have had in fifty. And that means that I've got a list of stories to tell -- oooodles of them. Not a bad thing to have when you're looking to write screenplays.

Don't write me off just yet.

No comments: